Search This Blog

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Friday Night Live Game: Where Running Hot Happens

Wow, this is probably the first time ever that I play live games in consecutive nights.
That same friend from last night called in again and we had a 9-man game this time, great!
There were maybe 3 people that I know by name only, so I didn't know anything about their poker games to be honest.

Like I said last time, my plan was to just stop bluffing and value bet good hands, and it worked out great as I won!
Whew, feels good to say that since I've been in such a funk lately.
Anyways, I made good bets on my big hands and got hit by the deck at the most important moment of the game. People kept busting left and right with marginal hands AIPF or shoving/calling rivers with second pair, just weird.

On to the most interesting part, the hands:

- In the first orbit I pick up AQ UTG and raise big, maybe 10xBB.
I raised this big because blinds were still small, and as usuall people will call you light with anything so I didn't want to chance it. I got maybe 3 callers (as I expected) and we see a flop of AxQ. Great great spot for my hand I bet the flop big and get 2 callers. I then bet a second spade on the turn even more, and they both agonize before making the call.
River is another spade, and I reluctantly check, and it is all checked around.
I show my top two pairs, and just like in a movie, they both roll AK and AJ. Wow. Got really lucky there, I understand why they were so in pain.

- I got another hand against the host of the game that was a pretty big pot. I limped with 3d4d and flopped trip treys for a big pot. Those chips catapulted my far ahead with the chip lead and lots of people were getting short already.

- First big pot I lost was with QQ UTG, not a great spot for that hand. I bet again 10xBB and get 3 callers. Flop is a freaking Axx and I check and have to fold to a bet on the flop. It was too obvious he had an Ace anyways, and the K on turn made me feel better. The bettor later said he had a weak Ace.

- After that people were getting short stacked and busting with a lot of marginal hands. I don't recall any nuts being shown down. Basically as people busted, we moved up the blinds, which really hurt me because I wasn't catching cards or doing any of the busting, so the host started accumulating a lot of chips that way. Before I even knew it, we were 3-handed, with the host having a commanding lead, and me and another girl the short stacks. She goes all-in with an Ace and he calls with a marginal hand. She doubles up as they both blank, but I would have gotten a full-house with my Q9o. That tilted me a little.

- The miracle JJ comes in my BB as the CL limps. I shove and he calls to double me up and give me life.

- Then him and the girl both shoves the river on a KJ8T7 board, and she shows QJ for second pair and he shows A9 for a rivered gutshot. I was happy, since only the first two cashed, and I was ITM with a 2 to 5 chip disadvantage.

- First hands are irrelevant, since they are won preflop or with a simple bet on the flop.
This is when I ran hot like crazy. I pick up AK and shove preflop, he folds.

- Next hand I get 22 and shove praying for a fold and he does.

- Next hand I get AJ and shove, and I guess he got tired and calls with a marginal hand to double me up. I now have a 4 to 1 chip advantage.

- Next and last hand, I get JJ and shove to his Kx and he blanks, I win.

Wow, those last four hands were crazy.
I finally won a live game, first in a long time. I am very very happy with the way I played, and I am especially happy with this stat:

BLUFF COUNT FOR THE NIGHT = 0

Yes, I didn't bluff one single time and it worked out great for me, since most of them are calling stations.
I am glad, I said last time that I was gonna focus and win, and I just did that right there.

ronee

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on winning that live game !

I see your strategy to :
- raise big because beginners tend to go to the flop with anything
- stop bluffing
did pay-off.

Your last 4 hands in the HU match only show one thing : you got some payback from all the card dead-ness you had in the mid stages :)