Search This Blog

Friday, July 25, 2008

Thursday Night Live Game

I got the surprise to be invited to a live game thursday night at a friend's house, and it was fun.
I didn't even know that he played poker or was interested in the game, but looks like he caught poker-fever as well so he called in 5 other players for a little game.

The buy-in was insignificant, but we just wanted to make sure that people would play at their best regardless.
Basically second would get his buy-in back, while first place would get all the rest.
Now on to the interesting hands:

- During the first orbit, this incredible hand happened. Four of us check to the river which puts a board fo XsXKsX7s. The player on my left fires 300 quickly (blinds 5/10 with 50 in the pot). The player to act bemoans for about 2mins, saying that he could only make this bet with the nut flush and how he would call if there was more in the pot.
Anyways, to our amazement, he folded Qs3s face up for the second nuts!!! What did the other have? 77 for a rivered set... We then proceed to tell him that it was a horrible lay down because, well, it's the second nuts! And the nut flush wouldn't bet that aggressively anyways. That was an opportunity wasted for him to bust a player (300 was half our starting stacks) because I sure know I would have instashoved.

- Player on my right gets short stacked, and I limp from the SB with 77 with 4 other limpers.
The flop is a nice 245 rainbow and I bet. Short player is on the button and calls. At this point he might have anything, since most of them call with paint just to chase until the river. Turn is 6.
Now that sucks a little bit because the straight might have gotten there, but I still have a draw to the nuts and an overpair so I am pretty confident. I ask for a count and have him covered, but if I lost it would hurt me a lot. I shove him and he instacalls UPS!
He shows me 55 for flopped trips and I am left scrambling for my 10 outs. Since he is the dealer, he peels off the river, which is a magical 8 for my straight!
I feel sorry for him, he played the hand perfect, and I too, think that I had the odds and hand to stack off in that spot. I merely wanted to push him off any draws and it didn't work out that way. That's poker, sometimes there are hands you just can't fold and are supposed to die with. I guess I overplayed my hand a bit and got lucky, but I still would make that play any day, live or online.

- One player got short stacked as we were four-handed and the three others, including me, took turns to try and bust him. I went at it first with 49o vs A4o and I doubled him up. Very next hand, the player of my left doubles him up with an inferior hand again. Right after that, the player on my right shoves him A8o vs Q9 but the flop brings a Q for his third double up LOL.
Since he went up to a sizeable stack, we ganged up on the player on my right for a change, and he busted soon after AIPF.

- I soon found myself heads-up and was a 2-1 dog in chips. I was able to take the lead with a few hands (middle pairs mostly) that went to showdown and won. But the last hand was obviously a mistake from me. I limp with 63o and find a flop of 446.
I bet first 3xBB and hope to take it down, and he shoves it. Clearly I could have folded there because I'd still have enough chips to play, but I didn't think much about it and called only for him to show me 47o for flopped trips. I suck.
During the whole night, he only made big bets with nuts and big hands and this time was no exception. I mean, what could I beat there? A 6 beats me, a 4 beats me, in essence, I could only beat a bluff, and most of the time, he isn't bluffing in that spot.
The turn and river come two 5s and I am crippled. I shove J4 vs 89 right after and the board comes x4x89 to bust me.

I have come to realize that I have a hard time transitioning from online play to live. Steals don't work as they do online, and I try to rely too much on reading tells which I clearly suck at right now. IMO, betting patterns are a lot more important than mannerism.
Next live game I am planning on putting my A-game and taking this bitch down XD.

ronee

No comments: