Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008

H.O.R.S.E.

Second post in one day, woohoo!

So instead of playing NLHE, I noticed a H.O.R.S.E. table that missed one player, so I sat in. I wasn't some kind of impulsive move, I wanted to play a H.O.R.S.E. SNG for a while now, and I just decided to go with it.
Keep in mind, I never played anything other than NLHE, and Omaha Hi (which isn't even played in H.O.R.S.E.) in play money. So basically no, I didn't know any of the games lol.
Here are some thoughts on each round.

HOLDEM
God, limit hold'em is boring. It is a lot tougher to get a read on your opponents, since there is no bet-sizing to analyze. You basically just bet your top pair to the river hoping he doesn't catch it. It's equally hard to bluff your opponents because nobody will fold to you with only one more bet to go.
It does get a lot more interesting when the blinds go way up but other than that I don't plan on playing limit hold'em anywhere else.

OMAHA 8
It's probably the toughest game when it comes to hand selection. And I prefer Omaha Hi much better. What I realized is that the low hand must be used only in case of emergency lol, such as in when you miss your draw on the flop.
This is probably where I lost most of my chips, chasing a low hoping for a split while the guy had the absolute nut straight. A, 2, 3, 4, 5.

RAZZ
This is fun!
I mean, it's so weird to chase the worst hand that I almost found it enjoyable LOL.
It's pretty easy to play, start with low cards, and end with low cards. Your up cards allow you to make a bluff from time to time.

STUD HI
This is probably the toughest game. Other than split cards or a pocket pair, it's extremely hard for me to pick a starting hand. Plus you only get cards one by one (instead of a flop) so you keep chasing for a lot of rounds.
This game gets expensive very quick unless you hit. And the worst is you have to keep track of your opponents' up cards (and of course the folded hands) to know which of cards you need are live. It also helps figuring out if your opponent is on a draw or not.

STUD 8
Forget what I just said, THIS is the toughest game.
Everything I said about stud hi is there, and now there is a low hand. OMG, this gets confusing very quick XO

Oh and btw, I finished 7th in that game.

ronee

PS: I will definitely play another H.O.R.S.E. SNG in the near future. It's a nice change of pace from NLHE and I recommend that people do it from time to time just for a break from 'poker', while still playing 'poker'. :D

No comments: