Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2008

NEVER bluff new players!

Wednesday night is when the game happens. We will have a 6-man game with a $10 buy-in. Hopefully we will be able to play more than 2 games.
Among the players, 2 are fairly new, 2 know how to play, and the last one I am not sure about.

This past week end, we played 4-handed just for fun with the two new players. Out of all the games, I never finished better than 2nd, which I am clearly disappointed with.
One hand came out like this:

3-handed in the SB, I picked up AhQh and raise 3xBB and get called by the button.
Flop commes KTx and I fire a decent continuation bet. He thinks for a while and decides to call. Right there I knew he didn't have any of it. At best he had a weak T.
Turn card is a 7 and I decide to move all-in. He thinks for a long time and calls anyway and show J7o. He beat me with middle pair on the turn.

I can't flame him for his preflop and flop calls obviously. He can do whatever he wants and he won for it.
I asked him, if we were playing for real money, if he would have made that call. He said no.
That's some comfort for wednesday night I guess, but I am still not happy with my play there as I forgot the golden rule of "never bluff a calling station".
And so I have made some guidelines for the game:

- NEVER EVER bluff the 2 new players.
- value-bet the shit out of my mid-pairs and top pairs against them.
- only play premiums.
- remember that 80% of the hands will probably go to a showdown.
- top 3 get at least their money back, with 4th finisher gets 50% of BI back, so I can afford to just wait as the new players will get involved in 60% of the hands.

That's all for now. Suddenly I get the itch to play a $10 6-man SNG on Stars just for practice LOL.
I probably won't have time since I have badminton tonight and a basketball game tomorrow night.

Next update will probably be a recap of the live game.

Wish me luck.

ronee

No comments: