Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Playing the board?

I was playing another $1 45-man this afternoon.
Got AA on the BTN and raised minimum, and the blinds called, creating a 500 chip pot.
Well I got the dream flop of 3A3 and it was checked around to the turn of 8 and river 8.
After they all checked, instead of a smallish bet that might look like a trap, I decide to overbet and bet the pot. I get a call from the SB and show him the goods.
I was just shocked when I looked at the hand history and saw that he was holding 22!
Playing the board eh? I guess my pot bet worked to perfection :)

Unfortunately, my good run in this tourney came to an end. I had three straight finishes of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and this time I went out in 8th, almost ITM. I am still happy to have made the final table though and had a great chip stack that was above average.

I busted the short stack with TT vs Ax. Then I raised a couple of hands (KQ) that missed the board completely. Then I picked up AQ in MP and raise 2.5xBB and get called by the CL.
Unfortunately the SB reraises to 2000, which I call and the CL folds, I have 5000 left behind, plenty enough.
The flop comes AKx and he bets half my stack. At this point I should have folded because his position and preflop action screamed at least AK. But I was surprised he didn't decide to trap.
Maybe he was playing QQ/JJ and wanted to resteal preflop.
So I reluctantly shoved and he showed AA. Wow... like I said, incredible that he bet the flop since he was the absolute favorite. But in any case he got all my chips. I guess he decided that I, at least, had an Ace or King to make the call preflop.

No comments: